Canada Visas

Temporary Residency Visas

A UK citizen is classified as Visa Exempt which means that as long as you are admissible, you only need your valid passport and a eTA in order to visit Canada, normally for up to six months. If you are looking to move to Canada on a longer term basis, to be able to work and/or study, you will normally need either a Temporary Work or Study Visa,  or Permanent Residency.

Canada requires citizens of many countries to obtain a Temporary Residency Visa to visit or stay in Canada on a temporary basis.

Work Permits

In most cases, a work permit requires a company/ organisation to successfully apply for and receive a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) specific to a candidate and employment position. The company would normally have to show that the position could not be filled by a Canadian or Permanent Resident.

There are some situations where a job offer is exempt from a LMIA, such as Intra Company Transfers.

A spousal Open Work Permit can also be applied for if your Spouse has successfully applied for a Study Permit in Canada.

Study Permits

A Study permit requires a placement at a Designated Learning Institution in Canada. An Open Work Permit is available for the length of study time, subsequent to successful completion of a study course. A successful study permit application will allow a spouse to apply for an Open Work Permit for this period of Study/ Work.

A student can normally work up to 20 hours per week outside Campus. International Students are charged International Student fees from Colleges/ Universities in Canada.

A Study Permit is often a solution to increase points under the Federal Skilled Worker Program and/or obtain eligibility under the Canadian Experience Program, once a years’ work is completed in Canada (in a NOC O, A or B job).

Permanent Residency

Permanent residency can be gained through a successful application via a range of Program types:

  1. Economic Programs – Federal Skilled Worker, Canadian Experience, Federal Skilled Trades Program or Provincial Programs
  2. Family sponsorship – Spousal or family sponsorship
  3. Other Programs – Quebec, Caregiver, Refugee, Investor/ Business.

For most applicants outside of Canada, the Federal Skilled Worker Program will be the most suitible and will include using the Express Entry system.

Once you become a permanent resident you are required to live in Canada for at least 2 out of every 5 years. Your visa expires one year from the date of your medical, unless you have applied for your Permanent Residency card from within Canada, with a Canadian address.

Federal Skilled Worker Program

The Federal Skilled Worker program is the main application stream for candidates, outside of Canada, to apply for Permanent Residency. To apply, a canadidate will use the EXPRESS ENTRY system (see our Express Entry page).

Express Entry requires an online profile for candidates who are eligible under one of the Economic Immigration Streams – including the Federal Skilled Worker Stream (FSW) A valid Language test score and assessment of your educational credentials (ECA) will also be required to submit a valid profile.

If invited to apply by CIC, by having a sufficent Express Entry Comprehensive Ranking Score, you have 60 days to submit a full online application for Permanent Residency.

Eligibility for the Federal Skilled worker Stream is assessed out of 100 points through the following factors. The pass mark is 67 – points are awarded for:

  • your skills in English and/or French.
  • your education,
  • your work experience,
  • your age,
  • whether you have arranged employment in Canada, and
  • your adaptability (how well you are likely to settle in Canada).

To be eligible, an applicant must have a year’s continuous and paid work experience, in a single occupation within the last 10 years at NOC O, A or B level in one of the eligible occupations. You must meet minimum language levels in either English or French.

You must have a Canadian Educational Diploma/ Certificate, or a foreign educational credential to show that it is equal to a completed Canadian Secondary or Post-secondary educational credential.

In addition you must also show that you have enough funds to support yourself and your family and that you are not inadmissible.